Friday, November 14, 2008

In response to my last post...

I am posting this letter by my dear friend Beth, who has a slight counter-point to my previous post. It almost brought me to tears!!!

"I feel bad for you. I understand that gays want the same rights as everyone else to get married, and honestly I have no problem with that. Marriage is fun and one day it will be there for the taking but I am some what upset at the fact that you state that with out gays the marriage system would fail to function. I love my craft and weddings were the reason i got into the field. Honestly it's a little far fetched.

The fact of the matter is that it will be acceptable for same sex marriage to happen. There used to be a time when being gay was something you only thought. But look how its changed so far. For you and your friends, you were able to tell your family and friends with little to no judgment and ridicule.(I'm speaking mainly for myself and your friends). My moms cousin is gay and has been for 47 years. I remember meeting him for the first time and hearing all about it. His father disowned him, his friends abandoned him and his mom felt like she had done something wrong to bring the horrible stat upon her son. He lived most of his young adult life alone and afraid. I'm thankful that you don't have it so hard.
Try to stay positive. We all need to remember that were lucky as hell to be in America. We have the ability to bitch till were blue in the face. We have a lot more already then other countries. There is a song I'm thinking of that's perfect for you:::: don't worry.... be happy ! i love you had hope you find some happiness to write about."

I love Beth to death, coolest girl ever...I do want to clarify that my story about collapsing the wedding industry was pitched out of humor, but the rest of her letter is the awesome part! Love you Manion!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment