Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Just a quick one

I have been home from work now for a few hours and have been thinking about some fond memories. I remember when my brother and I were 10 and 12 years old +/- a couple years. We would always go swimming at my grandparents. My grandpa always used to yell at us, NO PEEING IN MY POOL! Then he would call us over with a sample of pool water. He has a little bottle of magic elixir that told him which one of us had peed in the pool, if the water turned red, it was my brother, blue, me. We were so stupid back then, not realizing that he had a blue and red bottle of food coloring. We were both guilty of using the pool potty, but would not admit it. So when the water turned blue or red, we knew we were busted! Ohhh the Trickery!

The other memory was for Thanksgiving about 15 years ago. I reached across the table and grabbed a dinner roll with my hand. He watched me do it, looked at me and said "You want some mashed Potatoes too?" and used his bare hand grabbed a "handful" of mashed potatoes and plopped them onto my plate...It was legendary...

Miss you already Papa, can't believe its been a year...

1 comment:

  1. These two small stories you just told only gave a glimpse into the man my big papa was.

    Anyone who reads this and who knew my grandfather for the person he was is truly blessed. I too cannot believe it has been a year since this amazing man has left us all for a better place. Everyday i miss him more and more, and as i am still young and everyday realize more how much of a man he was to everyone whether they were friend family husband father or grandfather, he truly touched everyone in there own special way. I hope that all of you share your experiences and stories of my grandfather so that everyone will understand the type of person he was, the most caring non-selfish person god has ever placed on this earth.

    I truly feel i didn't take advantage of the time i had with my papa, and truly learn from him, and appreciate the great knowledge and wisdom he had to share with not only me but everyone around him. Everyday i think about him and how much i miss him telling me jokes everytime i saw him whether they were hilarious or just plain stupid it always put a smile on my face and wish he were here to say "hey there "T" i see you didn't comb your hair today" speaking of my "trendy" spiked hair. and it always put a smile on my face knowing he wished he could put his hair up like that without emmy telling him how ridiculous he looked. The most inspirational picture i have to this day, and carry with me everywhere i go is of my "Big" papa walking down the beach carrying his shoes and socks with his pants rolled up. i look at it everyday when i wake up, and think of him.

    I wish papa were here to see his rugrats and the great people we have become, maybe i could have worked on cars with him... built him that Buick... or him and Brandon could discuss politics and tell jokes for hours... or even bowling with Chris on Monday mornings.... Like i said above papa blessed everyone who walked into his life. He was an amazing man who served his country for not only himself but for his family friends and everyone else around him.

    To the most selfless, caring, and kind individual i will ever meet, i can't believe to this day it was your time already, i believe you were taken to early and you had so much more to give.

    Have a great time in a better place papa wherever that may be. ill see you someday and you can take me for a ride in your buick...

    i love you so much. we all miss you.

    ReplyDelete